The Paws that Refreshes

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Living without credit...

is it possible?

Actually, I have better-than-excellent credit. But living without it is my new hobby. I have balances on 4 cards, one of which will be paid off this month. I also have a car note, a mortgage and a $4,000 amount that a kind auntie gave me when I needed a car when I came back from England (nearly 30 years ago). I don't have to repay that $4,000, but since she's now elderly and could use it, I want to pay it back. I'm using the "debt snowball" method to eliminate all this debt. It'll take about 2 years to CLEAR EVERY DEBT I OWE. I'm keeping one credit card, but only use same if I need to rent a car. I can go to the airport and buy tickets with cash.

I can't find anybody in my circle who talks about the concept of living without credit or debt reduction strategies of any kind. Most of my confidants are exactly the opposite -- they use credit cards for EVERYTHING and "pay them off at the end of the month." I don't believe they pay them off at the end of the month, but no one is asking me for a loan or whining about money, so I won't hold their money methods against them. I will be a "lone wolf" in my endeavor, as there is no one to give me advice on how to get it done and, probably, no one who will be a cheerleader as I do it. I have no one to bail me out if I run out of cash.

All the debt-management web sites focus on "repairing your credit"; "raising your credit score" and the like. How to re-establish credit so you can obtain credit cards? How to refinance your home? Why not just "go cash." How long has it been since I saved up for something? Hummmmmmmm.....it's in the mists of time!

I intend to embrace living without credit.

My former money beliefs reflected society's measure of my worth. Those beliefs also ran the engine of my spending habits, with credit serving as the fuel. I have been exploring, and will continue to examine these beliefs, and eradicate the ones that don't serve me.

It is my intention to remain credit card (use) free, and to eliminate the mortgage as soon as possible. The next goal will be to prepay by one month the monthly household accounts in order to have all services paid in full at all times.

Why am I doing this? I want to be freeeeeeeeeee! I want no financial obligations to hold me to one choice. I want to know that I could disappear in the jungle for a month and come out to phone messages only from people who love me.

When you ponder the idea of leaving your job and changing your location/lifestyle/ line of work, is your first response, "How will I pay my bills?" Are you effectively enslaved to your employer? That is what credit debt does: enslaves you. You sell your future.

I'm glad I took the time to reevaluate my thoughts on credit and the real meaning it had in my life.

I'll be posting on the subject occasionally.

2 Comments:

At 2:33 PM, Blogger Brian said...

Hey Kitty- Don't include me in your list of friends that use credit cards for everything. I don't have 1 credit card! When you see me using plastic to pay a tab, it's a debit card! It comes right out of my checking account immediately. I've lived without credit cards for about 15 years. You can do it too! It's not hard!

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger =^..^= Kitty =^..^= said...

I had no idea!!! Good for you. Already the method is working for me. I haven't charged anything since I "got tuff" with myself - not even gasoline on a cold windy day. I RULE!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home